Friday, February 22, 2013

The amazing temples and palaces of Bangkok

Three elephants statue in front of the Grand Palace

I finally got around to checking out the famous temples and palaces in Bangkok. Previously, I associated Bangkok with doing errands, making travel arrangements and shopping so that visiting tourist attractions was never a priority.

Reclining buddha

I'm really glad I went. The temples and palaces are so beautiful! First I visited Wat Pho, home of the giant reclining buddha. It's so huge I couldn't get all of it on one photograph.

Detail on Wat Pho

Inside Wat Pho

Around Wat Pho

Next to Wat Pho is the huge complex of the Grand Palace along with Wat Phra Kaew, home of the famous Emerald Buddha. The buildings are beautifully decorated and there are so many of them, it's breathtaking.

Detail on Wat Phra Kaew

No photography was allowed inside so I couldn't get a photo of the Emerald Buddha. Actually, it's very small and not very impressive compared to all the other statues and adornments all over the palace complex.

Grand palace

Grand palace complex

Detail in the Grand Palace complex

Detail in the Grand Palace complex

Worshipers attaching gold stickers on a statue

No comments:

Post a Comment