Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Running the Angkor Wat Half Marathon was the best decision I ever made

I did it!

Running the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was The. Best. Decision. I. Ever. Made. In my life.

If you had asked me a month ago, or even a week ago, I might have said, “Registering for the Angkor Wat Half Marathon was the stupidest decision I ever made!”

Back home in September, when I was searching the internet for running events, it seemed such a good idea. I was going to be in Cambodia in December and there was a half marathon and why not, let’s register.

When I arrived in southeast Asia at the beginning of October, it hit me: how am I ever going to run in this oppressive heat and humidity? Why did I so stupidly register without checking the weather first? Who runs marathons in such humidity anyway?

What to do? How am I going to train? I could still skip the race, I thought. I didn’t tell many people that I was registered so I wouldn’t have to deal with too much humiliation by admitting failure. I could look for air-conditioned gyms near where I was staying and run on the treadmill. Or I could grind my teeth and bear it. The marathon itself would take place in such weather and I might as well get used to it.

So I did.

***

Picking up my race number
with a map of the course behind me

We arrived in Siem Reap, the nearest town, a few days prior to the race for sightseeing. Another volunteer who works in Phnom Penh was entered in the 10 km race and we came together. My roommate also joined us, as the cheerleading squad and photographer.

On the Thursday before the race I could see they were already setting up the course. I noticed the 18 kilometer mark in front of the Bayon temple. In front of the Bayon temple! I can’t believe it, this is where I’m going to run? In the ancient city, passing by the awesome temples. I must be dreaming.

***

Race day.

Warm up

It’s dawning when we arrive. Warm up in front of Angkor Wat.

Start. Our tuk-tuk driver cheers me on.

3rd kilometer, 19 minutes. When did that happen, where did the first three kilometers go? I’m going too fast, my pace should be 7 minutes per kilometer.

I’m flying, I feel invincible, I know I’m going to finish this race. I’m running at Angkor Wat of all places! Nothing could stop me now.

The first water station. They distribute half liter bottles of water. I take the bottle, drink some and carry the rest with me, drinking as I go.

5th kilometer, 32 minutes. Too fast. Slow down. There’s still a long way to go.

I’m sweating by the bucket. Water stations are plentiful. I gulp down the entire half liter bottle at the next station. All together I drank five bottles during the race.

7th kilometer. I run beside an Asian guy. His backpack is talking to him, “You have run 7 kilometers in 47 minutes and 21 seconds.”

The kilometers fly by in a blur, I notice them but I stop counting. Children along the way give us high fives.

I let my imagination run wild. Once again, I’m Lara Croft (I know, I watch too many action movies), chasing bad guys while behind me giant trees with roots like octopus tentacles are grabbing to strangle me. OK, wake up. It’s just a running race.

Victory gate

16th kilometer. The Victory gate entrance into the Angkor Thom city. Do I run or do I stop to take a photo? Who cares about my finish time, I have to take the photo. My hands are sweaty and I fiddle with the touch screen on my phone. There isn’t a square centimeter of dry clothing on me where I could wipe my hand. I wave in the air to dry so I could operate my phone.

Dropouts at the Terrace of Elephants

17th kilometer. The Terrace of Elephants. Another photo, my finish time doesn’t matter any more. The couple in front of me are debating dropping out of the race. They go straight up the stairs onto the terrace, sightseeing. Forget the race.


Taking photos in front of the Bayon temple

18th kilometer. The Bayon temple. Another photo opportunity. I take a photo of other runners taking photos.

Tourists are approaching

19th kilometer. It’s now close to 9:00 AM and the tourists are pouring in. They take photos of us runners. We must have been a tourist attraction, some crazy people running in such heat.

20th kilometer. I can see Angkor Wat, almost there.

Finish!

My certificate of completion

My time wasn’t the best ever but I still placed 526th out of 840 women finishers. I’m thrilled! The winner of the women's race was from Sweden, of all places. How does a Swede win a marathon in Asia is beyond me. Perhaps she lives here.

Now what?

My original plan was that if I survive the Angkor Wat Half Marathon, I wouldn’t run any more while I’m traipsing around hot and humid Asia.

But I’m too excited. It was so amazing, I can’t believe I did it! Nothing hurts, I’m not even tired. Let’s Google for more running events in the near future. Stay tuned…

***

U.K., the official chauffeur

Despite my elation, there was someone else who was the happiest person alive on race day. Look at U.K., our devoted tuk-tuk driver, he’s grinning from ear to ear. Not every tuk-tuk driver gets the honor of being the official chauffeur for a Marathon. He was even more excited to be there than we were. And he takes tourists sightseeing every day, he must have seen the temples hundreds of times. But seeing his tourists run - that was a once in a lifetime event for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment